Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Garden and the Girlfriend...

In addition to an eye level pile of dishes in m kitchen sink, I came home to a beautiful garden. Now, I don't recall how those dishes got there before vacation, but I do remember how these plants got there.  I started my garden years ago, and spend all winter plotting it out.  It's honestly what gets me through the winters, I sit down with my garden planner (a book, not a person) and get to work. So when the proof of my hard work actually manifests, it's makes me supremely happy and satisfied.  Not to mention, home grown food is much more tasty and convenient! Right in my back yard, for goodness sake.

For the two weeks I was gone, my girlfriend and her family tended to my garden. This wouldn't be a big deal, except that my girlfriend excels in all things CITY. You know, she knows the best places to go in the city, how to get onto a list at the right club, who's who. She loves taking cabs, waking up to big buildings all around her, the noise that is everywhere in the city.  Kind of....everything that I dislike about the city.  I love the silence of my suburb, even more the total silence out West. I love seeing no buildings, only sky and mountains. I would rather ride a horse than in a cab.  She and I choose to overlook each others "short comings" and love each other anyway.  And this year, she is growing a container garden. It's done very, very well.  So she very kindly took over my garden. I think what I forgot to tell her is that my garden is magic. Thats right, folks. Magic. It will look like it's suffering (as it did when I left) and then all of a sudden, everything grows with an intensity and speed that makes you feel like you will have vines wrapping around your ankles and keeping you there if you stay long enough. I think that's happened to me a couple of times.

She informed me that my beets were ready, though she didn't know what to do with them and she did not want suggestions. I said juice them, she told me to forget about it. No way was she juicing something that grew in dirt, came out covered in dirt and, even washed, smells and tastes faintly like dirt.  



 My corn, before harvest and after.

 



And my flowers:











 



 





 

And as a bonus question....can you name this flower/plant? Scroll down....



 

Give up yet? Garlic. Who'd a thunk it.  I hope you have a friend to depend on that will submerge herself in dirt, pull your weeds, and overcome her disdain for snakes to tend to your garden so that you can enjoy yourself on the other side of the county. That's what life is all about.

Enjoy the glorious summer day! Remember to look for beauty in the small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment