Sunday, January 15, 2012

When Doing Nothing Is Really Something, and Eating Frito Chili WhileYou're At It.

I had two plans for this weekend. Well, one of them was more like a “high level overview”, I’ll get to that in a second. My two plans were to attend a “ball” with my sister for charity, and the other was to do nothing. That’s the high level overview part. By nothing, I meant exactly what I’m doing right now as I write this post.  I’m sitting buried under dryer warmed blankets on my sofa, in plaid flannel pj bottoms and a sweatshirt, with huge fuzzy slippers on. I’m committed to doing nothing tonight and tomorrow but eating this kick ass chili I made, writing my blog and my book, and hanging with my kiddies. Maybe I will tune in to see what people are wearing on the Golden Globes, just in case I start to care in between now and then. Though it's not likely.
Last night my sister and I, along with a friend, attended the Hair O the Dog Ball in the city. I may have mentioned how different my sister and I are…about a million times. Our humor is very similar though, which makes for a laugh when we’re together. But she is girly, sparkly and ruffley. That’s a new word, by the way. She is the stiletto heel to my cowboy boot. The diamond to my turquoise. The Tiffany’s to my vintage shop. The blonde to my redhead.  Getting that difference? And I love that we’re different yet so similar in our personalities because it makes for an interesting dynamic when we meet people and they seem to take a moment to ponder that we’re blood relatives. I assume most people think that her brother married me after a questionable night in Vegas and that she’s stuck with me through some unfortunate family accident.  But nope, we’re related for real. I have years of matching clothing to prove it and pictures to back it up.  Plus a scar on my face from her dagger like nails after a particularly nasty cat fight we had when we were younger.  See Exhibit A below.

When she asked me to go to a big party in the city, I immediately started to think of a thousand excuses of why I couldn’t go.  I do this every time someone mentions going into the city to me, it's a reflex.  I did this with her until I realized that I always have a great time with her, despite my general discomfort with the city, dressing up and mingling. However, part of the proceeds went to the Garden of Refection, which is Bucks County’s memorial to 9-11, and my sister has done a considerable amount of work fundraising for the Garden. So between those two things, I was in.
I had a great time. We danced, we mingled (she did, I stood by awkwardly) we laughed at some unfortunate fashion choices. Despite the fact that I took my heels off halfway through the night and walked around barefoot in a fancy, schmancy party, I don’t think I embarrassed her too badly. Thank God SHE doesn’t write a blog, or it could be all about how her sister embarrassed her last night.

And today, since my feet are overly sore from overly high heels last night and for some reason, I thought I could dance, I am wearing these ridiculous slippers.

I’m enjoying the surreal moment in life when my kids are not fighting, not bored and are seemingly happy to be here with me.  I realized that my "doing nothing" is really doing some of my favorite things. Spending time with my kids, cooking, writing. That means that my doing nothing is really doing something. And that is something great.
On top of all of this peacefulness, I made this ridiculously good chili.  Although the downside is that I cannot stop thinking about it and eating it. It’s quite embarrassing, really. But since my mind is too full of chili-themed thoughts, I don’t have enough space to worry about that.  Here's the link, not surprisingly posted by my we're-best-friends-in-my-mind-but-she-doesnt-know-it favorite blogger, Ree Drummond of Pioneer Woman fame.  Make it, you will thank me..errr...her, I mean.  This is her pic.  My chili is almost gone, except for what's left on my face and shirt, and I'm not posting a picture of that.


Signed,
Your fuzzy footed, flannel wearing, doing "nothing that's really something" Blogger:)

No comments:

Post a Comment