Thursday, May 26, 2011

I'm imperfectly perfect me, are you imperfectly perfect you?

Most people who know me know that I’m not a big TV watcher, but I did DVR Oprah yesterday and watch her farewell. And whether you like her or not, it’s a huge accomplishment and you can’t take that from her. She has inspired people every day for 25 years. People have given of themselves and their hearts and wallets because she’s inspired them to do so. And she had many valid and wonderful statements yesterday to share, including that you need to believe in yourself every day and just KNOW that you can do what will make you happy.  You can choose to be miserable in your life, with your job or your spouse or your very path, or you can CHANGE it. NOW.

She also talked about letting go of shame. I hadn’t given it too much thought prior to her saying it over and over again. Frankly, I thought she was being a little redundant until I realized even I hadn’t begun to think about it until the 15th time she said it.  And then it hit me… so many people feel shame about something they’ve done in the past. Or perhaps who they were at one point in their life.  Or even something done to them at some juncture. And they’ve not accepted it, or dealt with it.

I’ve frequently said (and I will say it a few HUNDRED more times!) that pride is the worst human trait. And I’m not speaking about being proud of who you are I’m speaking out being prideful. Of not being able to say you’ve done some things you regret, or that you don’t like who you are.  Maybe you can’t accept that you have anger issues, or depression, or you’re just a mean jerk! But here’s the thing…. You can change that. You can shake off that deep seeded sadness or self resentment and make it better. It’s free will.  You can start again, that’s the joy of being blessed with one more day to open your eyes and make things right.

And we’ve all been there, haven’t we? If you said “no”, maybe you should reread the part about being prideful?  Knock yourself down a few pegs and remember when you weren’t so inspired, so good or so kind.  I’ve had a couple of times that jump out, mainly when I was a teen and an all around ahole. I can say ahole here, right? I was spiteful, angry and disrespectful. And I repeated those traits at the end of my marriage. And the connection?  That I wasn’t happy with myself or my direction.  Once I figured out my “game plan” to getting back on track, or on a track at all, I was better. Not great, not perfect, just better. And sometimes, better is all you need to be.

So when I decided to start this blog, it was with a promise that I would be truthful and authentic, and reveal my bumps, bruises, warts and all. And there are many. But I tell you with absolute joy and certainty today, that I wouldn’t want to be anywhere or anyone else. I kind of like being imperfectly me.  And I hope that my journeys, the ups and downs and everything in between will help someone along the way. Not quite Oprah status I know, but just…me.  Imperfectly perfect me.

6 comments:

  1. I love this post. It reminds me of one of my favorite sayings from The Bhagavad Gita: It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly then to live an imitation of someone else's life with perfection.

    Keep on rockin' on with your bad self girlie! Can't wait to see you in a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, my friend...I have been getting teary-eyed over this whole farewell and wondered why. I think it is because Oprah has been a portal for self-discovery/improvement. I went onto her website and read about the
    Harvard- educated doctor who suffered a stroke and reminded us all to be responsible for yourself - in actions. Without quoting, I believe that she said, "to be responsible for all the energy in the space that we fill". That summed it up for me; owning our actions without the blame game. Powerful. And courtesy, by way of our beloved Oprah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bow to you in humble recognition... it is not often that i do so...for ANYONE..but , im not often inspired either...and in this wonderful little piece of work u have done both...it is really cool to read what u write...yea my use of big words is done...anyway...this and u r very,very,very cool...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ken, Im starting to think you could write a pretty interesting blog! Thank you for continuing to read, I very much appreciate it. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelly, I agree 100%. You can only put the blame and point the finger at others for so long before you have to look inwards. And you may not always like what you see, which is an opportunity to change it. Starting right now. Great thoughts. Thanks for reading and contributing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chandra, you embrace your whole self and I DIG that. Gotta love someone who's honest with themselves and others, with the good and the bad. XOXO Cant wait to get to NE!

    ReplyDelete