Sunday, June 5, 2011

I've recently come to the realiztion that not everyone is as into music as I am. Someone who doesn't love music like I do is like an animal in a zoo to me, I tend to stare and tilt my head in deep thought and think "how do you exist?!".   But some people are brought up with sports playing in the background, some with soap operas, some with nothing but the sounds of the household. Some people are clearly NOT me. My parents had music on all the time and they sung along. And I dig it. 

I have regular old radio in my car, but the boyfriend has Sirius radio. I could sit in that big shiny Ford all day and listen to that radio. And dispite the fact that I swore I'd never sing in front of him (a service to all mankind, I assure you), I can't stop myself.  I sat in there yesterday with my cowboy boots resting on the open truck door in my driveway singing along to Brooks and Dunn. Im sure somewhere, Brooks and Dunn's ears were bleeding but they didn't know why.  We ere on the road so much yesterday, and there are so many stations to be found on that radio, that I sang along the whole damn day. And I' certain thats the cause of the boyfriend inquiring about surgeries to MAKE him deaf today.

But yesterday we heard a song that reminds me SO much of my upbringing that I can't help by share it.  It immediatly makes my heart swell when I hear it, because if I had to pick a "theme song" to my parents and childhood, this would be it. I dont know the year it came out, or if my parents even like it (though I suspect they do) but it must have reminded me of my family when it came out, because I have always loved it because I thought my parents wrote these lyrics. Or could have, if they were songwriters. Or Loggins. Or Messina.

"Danny's Song" by Loggins and Messina, and they sing about the beautiful parts of life that I love. It's such a simple song about loving your soul mate, and having a family and recognizing that person for the savior they sometime are. And I cannot put into words how much I love this song, except that it makes me smile the whole way through.

That's one of so many significant songs in my life, I could never assemble a soundtrack. I've been a die-hard Counting Crows fan for 20 years, which is a number that seems ridiculous because Im clearly younger in my head then I am in real life. But "Anna Begins" (and so many more I cant possibly list them) by CC is a wildly significant song, and my 20 year love affair with Adam Duritz (lead singer) is well known amongst my friends and boyfriend, although Adam Duritz himself may have no clue.  Bob Dylan reminds me of my father, but he fell asleep during a Doors show so they remind of him as well. And all of the wonderful hippie music I love so much (my mother knows I was her only daughter that would swipe her "Freedom Rock" tapes!)  I attribute to my mom. And "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor reminds me of my best friend, because I know its significant to her. "In My Daughters Eyes" by Martina McBride brings me to tears every time thinking of my daughter. "Never tear us apart" by INXS and every CURE song ever reminds me of my sister Jen, while "Who Knew" by Pink reminds me of a sister who is long gone. 

Dont we all have ex's that conjure up a certain memory for us and that one song comes on and even though we havent thought of them in years or months....BAM! There they are!  I have those songs...but Im not sharing. The one that I have the most song "reminders" of is the muscician....they seem so fun on the outside to date. We listened to so much music, we sang along, he sang it to me with just his guitar. The long hair. The swaggar. The chicks. Oh... wait. The chicks? Riiiiight. That's where dating a musician becomes not so fun. But the music remains. You know, the music BEFORE the chicks. Sensing some sarcasm here....

I hear so many songs, they make up the fabric of my life (you thought it was cotton? The commercials brainwashed you. It's music.) and I am so glad. On a daily basis I have Ray LaMontagne, Zac Brown, Counting Crows, Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson, Adele and Madeline Peyroux to remind me of my steps and my sense of self.  I want to know yours! Every song has a story, in addition to what the songwriter intended.  As perents, the songs we pass to our kids are a trigger for their childhood memories. I told you mine, now tell me yours. Whats your song that tells a story?  If I could still make you a 1983 mixed tape, I would. But I can't, I sadly don't have a tape OR a recorder. But I can send you a $20 gift card to Best Buy. The person with the most heartfelt, lovely song story wins it. Thanks for sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment