Friday, June 24, 2011

Required summer reading for kids...Tell me your opinion!

When I was in junior high (also known as middle school to the cooler kids, which is still not me) I distinctly remember required summer reading. And required reading during the school year. And because of my extreme love of literature and my far reaching dorkdom, I really, really looked forward to it. Look, I already called myself a dork, so you can't call me that now. How's that sticks and stones thing go? Anyway, I loved it. That list of books could have been my Christmas list. They would hand it out, and in a futile attempt to look cool, I'd try to conceal my excitement. The cold, hard truth is that when you're a foot taller then the other girls, with red hair and the ill advised perm, braces and questionable fashion taste, there is simply no loking cool. I know this now. I've made peace with it.  And I've retained the red hair and questionable fashion taste.

I am well aware that junior high has changed since I attended. After all, between you and I, it was 20 years ago. I just threw up a little typing that. The politics of he said/she said are the same, the boys picking on girls they like is the same, the catty girls fighting is unfortanantly the same.

My daughter started junior high this year, so when she came home the last day of school, I asked for her report card and her summer reading list. She raised one eyebrow and tried to hide her disdain. And then she informed me that (duh) her report card gets EMAILED now, and there is no required reading list.

Um...what? I shook off the report card. Honestly, what's done is done now. If she flunked, I'd know by now. Does anyone still use the word flunked anymore? No. Didnt think so. But no reading list? I was so excited to discuss my junior high and high school favorites with her!

And then finally, my boyfriends son came to me to ask me if I'd take him to buy his summer reading book (singular). It's a great book. The Giver. One of my much adored friends favorite literary heroes is Jonas. BUT SERIOUSLY. One book?!

So I've decided to educate, or force upon depending how you look at it, a summer reading list. I don't know how you could adequatly come of age with no coming of age novels? No Catcher in the Rye? No Animal Farm or 1984? Illustrated Man? Fahrenheit at least? Death of a Salesman? Streetcar Named Desire?  Nada. Nothing. 

So tonight when I took him to pick up The Giver, I let my daughter pick a book too. And while they where distracted, I wandered over to the "Summer Reading Picks" table, and again tried to hide my nerdy excitement. It didnt work. I snatched up a copy of Catcher in the Rye before anyone spied me, and rushed over to check out. Then on the way home, I planned my sneak attack. It went something like this:

"So (or really like sooooooooo), you two enjoyed picking a book of your choice? Yes? It's super fun, reading? Right?"  Yes, yes, they agreed. And I pounced.

"Well then, when you're done the book YOU picked, you have to read the book I picked." Groans ensued and they rolled their 13 year old eyes at one another. I saw, in the rear view mirror.

"Well, what is it?"  I replied with the Catcher in the Rye. They were confused. It didnt have Jackass in the title, it wasn't written by Jay-Z.  Salinger? Who the heck is that?!

I told them that once they read it, and wrote me a book report on it that we could sit and intellectually discuss, they would be free for at least a week until I can trek to the closest mid-West city and pick up the next book of my choice.

And now I feel the excitement all over again... of a new read and educating a new mind. Even if it's not mine. After all, isnt that what parenting is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment