Wednesday, June 29, 2011

On graciousness and silence... Travel Log: Still in Nebraska!

I heard once that the most effective thing that you could do for yourself and your mental health was to take time out of your day, even if it’s 10 minutes, to be silent. Really just take time to sit and think about yourself. It’s an odd concept, isn’t it? We spend so many moments in our daily life thinking of everyone and everything else, the kids, our boss, the dog and cat, our friends, our parents. We’re brought up to be that way, mindful of others. This is a great way to be, don’t misunderstand me. But when was the last time you sat and thought about yourself? I’m certain, if I had to place a wager on it, that you don’t do it every day.

I'd also place a wager on this picture below being completely irrelevant other than to showcase the awesome mason jar wine glass my sister bought me. But if you're curious, I WAS being silent and enjoying my ten minutes of solitude.



But I have adopted this practice, and I’ve gotten fairly skilled at it. Even if it’s in bed at night, I take that time. It’s recommended that you do so in the morning, to start your day clearly, but I prefer at night when I can review my day. And my focus is usually the person that I work to become every day. I think about if I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished that day, if I’d do anything differently, what I’d like to work towards tomorrow. And I spend a lot of time thinking about values and traits that I admire in people I know or have met.

Today, I’ve settled on graciousness. I’ve been thinking a lot about it, as I’ve been a guest in someone else’s house this week. There’s a lot to be said about people who are willing to welcome you and your children into their home, and they do so seamlessly and with such warmth that you feel like you’ve known them forever. And not only are they hospitable and gracious, but I find their state to be as well. They moved here several years ago, from Pennsylvania. And my first time visiting, it became very clear why.

I get asked often why I settled on Nebraska for vacation. It’s hard to describe to people who haven’t visited the mid-West or West. But here you can sit and never hear a man-made sound and listen to the birds chatter back and forth, or the bull frogs croaking on the lake. You can look every night for the point at which the land meets the thick blanket of stars and never find it. And those stars are the clearest I’ve seen, it’s like I can pull them down with me. People are kind, they smile and wave at strangers. They don’t ride on your back bumper so closely that you can’t determine what kind of car they drive.

For instance, I went into town today to the antique store. I found a great set of serving utensils, a silver fork and spoon set with antler handles. Not for everyone, I’m sure, but certainly for me. Talk about conversation starters. I took them to the man at the counter and asked for a price. He turned them over in his hands slowly, remarked about how interesting they were and how the antlers were in great shape. And how nice the silver was. And on. And on. He continued, and I got ready for the steep price. Finally after a pregnant pause, he looked at me and said, “Well, I think I have to ask for $10.”

Um….what? $10? And even then he looked apologetic. I told him I was certainly taking them, and we continue in a conversation about my belt buckles, gun rights and Congress. I’m not even making that up. I have a witness. And he was genuinely speaking and conversing, sharing his opinions and listening to mine. He remembered that I had been there last year, and which turquoise ring I had purchased.



Kristi and I headed back to the house on the long, beautiful red road, driving the big pickup truck and singing along to the radio in the sun. Corn was flying past us, Harvesters and tractors chugged along under the clear blue sky. And I was very, very thankful at that moment. Thankful for the gift that is my life, for my family, for my friends and for the graciousness of people who had never even met me a couple of years ago and yet here I am, enjoying this gift because of them. And I know for certain that I will work on making sure that I share joy and beauty with others as they have with me. And I will hope every day that you meet a few and then decide to become one as well.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Crab Orchard is a very nice place and the people are great. Beatrice has a lot of nice people there also, the Blacksmith's daughter that works at the Resurant in town was very nice and kind

    ReplyDelete